News and press releases
- Generous Royal Mail Group employees have raised £50 million for charity through the company’s payroll giving scheme since it launched 25 years ago
- The scheme has supported over 900 nationwide and community-based charities
- Royal Mail holds the Guinness World Record for having the most number of charities supported by a payroll giving scheme
Generous colleagues across Royal Mail Group have now raised £50 million for charity through the company’s payroll giving scheme, which began 25 years ago.
The significant milestone has been met thanks to benevolent employees across Royal Mail and Parcelforce Worldwide donating regularly via their salary to over 900 charities. Retired employees also contribute to the scheme.
The charities supported include a mix of national organisations as well a number of locally-based groups which are helping providing vital services at the heart of communities.
There are around 38,000 members of the scheme, who on average donate £5 a month to their chosen charity or good cause.
Moya Greene, Royal Mail’s Chief Executive Officer, said: “We’re thrilled our people’s payroll giving has reached this significant milestone and has supported so many charities. We’re proud to run such a popular scheme that gives our employees, both past and present, the opportunity to support the cause of their choice. This is making a difference both nationwide and in the heart of local communities everywhere.”
Peter Lewis, Chief Executive Officer of the Institute of Fundraising, added: “Royal Mail’s achievement in championing Payroll Giving is a fantastic example to all large employers. The £50 million that Royal Mail’s employees have donated to many charities shows real commitment from both the staff who give the money and the organisation for showing long-term support and leadership.
“Congratulations to all at Royal Mail for their work to promote Payroll Giving - we hope it can inspire many more organisations and employees to support good causes.”
Royal Mail Group’s scheme was awarded a Guinness World Record in 2012 for having the most registered charities supported by a payroll giving scheme. It still retains this record.
The company also provides matched giving to those employees who donate a proportion of their salary to the Group’s Charity of the Year partner, Prostate Cancer UK. Royal Mail Group and its employees have together raised £1.8m million for the charity over the last 18 months (including matched giving), enough to fund at least 30 specialist prostate cancer nurses.
The top 20 charities Royal Mail Group employees donate to via Payroll Giving:
- County Air Ambulance Trust
- Help The Hospices
- Prostate Cancer UK
- Rowland Hill Benevolent Fund
- Cancer Research UK
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- Marie Curie Cancer Care
- North West Air Ambulance
- Great Ormond Street Children’s Charity
- Smile A Minute Appeal
- Friends At Work
- CLIC Sargent Cancer Care For Children
- Bliss - The National Charity For The Newborn
- Together For Animals
- Post Office Orphan Homes Benevolent Institution
About Royal Mail:
- In 2012–13, Royal Mail contributed £9.5 million directly to charities, good causes and schemes for disadvantaged groups
- In addition, our colleagues raised almost £3.2 million for many good causes across the UK
- Following a successful partnership with the children’s charity Barnardo’s, in March 2012 our colleagues voted to support Prostate Cancer UK as our new Charity of the Year partner from 2012 to 2014
- Our aim is to raise at least £2 million to fund specialist prostate cancer nurses. To date enough has been raised to fund at least 30 nurses
- For the first time, the company is matching money raised for its Charity of the Year, penny for penny, up to £2 million. Once £2 million has been raised by Royal Mail Group and its employees, the company will match money raised for either Prostate Cancer UK, Alzheimer’s Society or Whizz-Kidz up to a further £1 million.
PR Manager (Campaigns)
0207 449 8246/07435 769 017
Registered Office Royal Mail plc 100 Victoria Embankment London EC4Y 0HQ
© Royal Mail Group Limited 2014