Life at Royal Mail
Royal Mail Group operates across the UK and internationally with revenues of £10 billion, £694 million operating profit and 159,000 employees. Following an IPO in 2013, we have gone through significant transformation encompassing greater investment in technology, evolution of the operating model, comprehensive efficiency improvements and a dynamic growth agenda, including further expansion across Europe and entry to the North American market.
Our UK business comprises the UK and international parcels and letters delivery businesses under the Royal Mail and Parcelforce Worldwide brands. The parcels business is at the forefront of developments in the ecommerce space, serving large online retailers as well as smaller and medium-sized businesses selling through marketplaces and their own web sites. General Logistics Systems (GLS) is one of the largest, ground-based deferred parcel networks in continental Europe, covering 41 countries and nation states in Europe and, following recent acquisitions, eight states in the western US.
The way we work, the decisions we take, the relationships we build with our employees and the way we do business with our customers. We arrived at them through close consultation with people across the business.
We love to give it a go, aiming to make life better and brighter for our customers and each other. We trust each other to do the right thing and always say thank you for a job well done.
We know our stuff, so we always deliver great service. That’s because we do the little things well, and we’re pretty good at the big things too! We work hard to find a better way – we never stop trying to improve.
Be Part of It
It’s all about our team. We listen to each other and support each other, because after all, where would we be without each other? We appreciate diversity because getting thoughts and ideas from everyone makes us a stronger team.
Our target culture
We’re proud to work for Royal Mail. What we do matters to people. We listen. We’re trusted. Each of us is respected. We go the extra mile for our customers and for each other. Everyone contributes and works together to deliver our promises, finding ways to be more successful – faster and better than before and beating our competition. Our values describe the behaviours we need to develop our culture.
Diversity, equality and fairness
Royal Mail has long been a part of the fabric of the UK. We celebrate diversity by recognising that different people have different needs and are able to contribute in different ways. We promote behaviours and working practices which recognise and value the difference between people and help them to fulfil their potential.
Race and ethnicity
- 13% of our workforce is from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) group.
- We are working hard to address the gap of BAME colleagues who are under-represented at senior levels through development programmes and recruitment interventions.
- Gender equality and diversity is a key part of our business strategy and commitment to progressing women further throughout the business.
- At present, women represent just under 18% of our workforce. As an equal opportunities employer, we encourage female colleagues to consider management roles. Currently, 21% of our managers and 31% of our senior managers are women.
- In 2017, our company was listed in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women for a fourth consecutive year.
- We run a number of schemes to help young people and the long-term unemployed into work.
- We are a national partner of BITC’s Business Action on Homelessness programme and have been since 2005.
- We also work with Remploy which helps people with disabilities and health conditions re-join the workplace.
- Our apprenticeships and graduate programmes can help young people into rewarding careers.