Our people play an important role in achieving our strategic priorities. We rely on them to deliver high quality customer service, to fulfil the Universal Service, and to represent Royal Mail among our customers and communities. Engaging our people within a fair, rewarding and customer-focused culture is key to our success.
We are one of the UK’s largest employers, with one in every 194 jobs in the UK provided by Royal Mail. We directly employ around 141,000 people, with GLS employing around 18,000 people across Europe and in the US.
We promote strong labour standards in our industry. We believe that good employment conditions drive quality. Permanent Royal Mail and Parcelforce Worldwide employees earn considerably above the Living Wage. We work continually with our unions to agree changes to our business model to ensure a sustainable future for Royal Mail.
Our people strategy
Our people strategy supports a more competitive business, through:
- striving for an incident-free working environment where everyone is safe, healthy and secure
- creating a customer-focused culture
- leading the industry in employment standards
- maintaining a stable industrial relations climate
- celebrating diversity and creating an inclusive working environment
- giving our people ownership and influence over their working lives
- using technology and data to enhance decision making
- investing in people and providing opportunities for all.
For more information on our People Strategy and our main focus areas, see pages 38-51 of the 2017-18 Corporate Responsibility Report.
Gender Pay Reporting
Royal Mail has conducted a gender pay review for 2017 in accordance with the UK Government’s gender pay gap regulations.